Pages

Friday 5 October 2012

Canadians

Well in case if you haven't noticed, I'm a proud Canadian/Iranian. Yeah I'm Canadian and Iranian. Got a problem with that? Well reacently one of my friends online told me how she loved Canadian accents so much (she's American). I was confused becuase aren't canadian accents supposed to be like northern American accents (like washington or New York, not Texas. Wait, do Texesians even have the stereotypical "Western" drawl?)
So after a long time of searching on the Internet, I realized I'm not very Canadian, nor are the majority of the people inhabiting our beautiful country. Turns out, "Canadians" are supposed to speak in Newfoundald-ish accents, guzzle the fake crap they call Maple Syrup, go around wearing toques, and tack an eh? on the end of every sentence.
Well sorry to break it to you, love, but no one, or no one that I've seen anyway, goes around carrying a bottle of Aunt Jemimiah's around with them everywhere they go. Nor do we wear toques (unless if it's winter) and I think I've only heard one Canadian say eh? before and that was a man who used to be a farmer in the `70s. And the accent? Well I guess Newfoundlanders have the Newfoundlanian accent, but that's not all of us.
There are some differnces in speach though, like people from the Praries usually take faster than other, and we say zed not zee, and we apperantly say a few words differently, but all of that's mostly personal preference and also depends on who you hang out with.
For example, if you sepnd a lot of time with your friend who has an English accent and with your other friend who has an Indian accent, then you'll probably end up saying a few words in a slight English accent and other in a slight Indian accent. So there's a lot of accent contamination going on.
Are you Canadian enough?


~ © xXACERXx

No comments: